Deri Chilton Russell
about the artist
BIOGRAPHY /ARTIST VISION
I paint acrylics in my own "semi-realistic" style. Most of my work is inspired by the people and rural area I live in. I like to photograph those ahhhh moments when the light is just right, or the reflections rippled, or the wind is making the grass dance in waves through the field. And then I just sit and take in the atmosphere of right then. Try to permanently etch those dashing moments in my mind to recreate later at the studio in a single image.
I want to create images that people would want to look at all the time. At home or at work. Perhaps it reminds them of a childhood moment, a drive down a country road, a loved one. Perhaps someplace they have been or would like to go. Images that are calming and cheerful. It's a busy busy world, we need glimpses here and there of just ahhhh.
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
The Society of Canadian Artists -juried in
The Federation of Canadian Artists -juried in January 2018
The Walldogs -
I am an active member of the Walldogs. The Walldogs are a group of Artists who go from Community to Community painting murals for them. A Town or City applies to us to come to their area and create murals to enhance their economic development. Perhaps they have lost industry or there has been a natural disaster in their community. If the community is chosen between 100 and 350 of us go there and paint between 12 and 24 murals in 4 days. Our organization designs and paints the murals and in exchange they feed and house the artists. I have been across the States, Canada and to Australia with the Walldogs over the last 15 years.
* I attended Georgian College, Owen Sound, general arts program - incl. illustration, life drawing, art history, graphic design, typography, photography, textiles -then did graphics specialization- graduated in 1981.
* '81 to '85 -Junior Graphic Designer Mississauga ON
* 1985 to 2015- Continued art education courses at least yearly -including extensive glass courses-sandblasting, sandcarving, metal gilding (18 & 24 k gold, engine turning, silver, copper) glue chipping, acid etching, photo etching
* self taught in Computer Graphics, CorelDraw (3 to X7), Corel Photopaint programs and large format digital printer RIP software
* attended large mural and letter conventions- worked at sign lettering, projection and pictorial techniques and sculpture moulding
* had a professional sign studio from 1993-2015
* January 2016 to present
changed my artistic focus to fine art mediums and started painting acrylics. Now I paint, make limited prints of my paintings, and apply my painted images to materials made into dresses, scarves and leggings.
ART EXHIBITIONS, AWARDS
"White Orchids on my window sill" shown in Federation of Canadian Artists "Blooms" Show- April 2019
"Down at the Docks" and "I help Grampa" shown in Society of Canadian Artists 2019 International Juried online exhibition-March 15-June 15 2019
"The Curve of her Wings" shown in the 2018 Federation of Canadian Artists juried show "Wildlife" -May 2018
Honourable Mention- Federation of Canadian Artists juried show "Canvas Unbound" February 2018 -"Pulling the Energy"
1st place and cover-Grey, Bruce Simcoe Counties Art Calendar Show and Sale -summer 2017 for 2018 calender-"Standing in the Surf"
1st place -BAC Juried Show Walkerton ON April 2017 -"S Bend at Blue Water Lakes"
Family Scatcherd Award- Paint Ontario March 2017 -"Down at the Docks"
2nd place- Distinguished Artist Online Juried show-theme call Horses June 2016
Outstanding Artist- ArtAscent Magazine June 2017 "Copper John"